QESH Meeting Minutes – March 2018

Quality Environmental Safety and Health Management Board (QESH)

Minutes of 14 March 2018 

Details (action items in bold)

    1. Meeting called to order by Robert Dearing at 1300.
    2. QESH meeting minutes from 14 February 2018 were reviewed and accepted as written by committee vote.
    3. Group discussed:
      1. Mr. Schupp provided an overview of recent safety issues at government shipyards and their various causes.
      2. Going forward, the RMC will be sharing trouble reports and root cause analysis to collaborate with industry for common trends and corrections.
  • Robert and Mike McKean to draft a message to PSSRA member companies regarding a summary of recent incidents, VPP recertification and the importance of “all hands awareness.”


    1. Standardized hot work permit to be issued this year, C/106 is leading the project.
    2. Monthly CNRMC / Industry Teleconference- no new matters of importance.
    3. Industry day event was discussed. Dave Jack provided an overall assessment.
      1. Training was well structured and relevant to industry’s needs.
      2. Dead time was an issue, future planning can eliminate this.
      3. More vendors would be great for the next event.
      4. Better advertising of the event would be beneficial in creating a larger attendance.
      5. Mark provided that better attendance for the key note speaker should be a goal in regards to future events.
      6. The panel discussion was great.
      7. Overall, the event was a success.
    1. Discussion of upcoming quarterly trends for the April meeting were discussed:
      1. MSMO to provide quarterly discrepancy, injury data.
      2. RMC to provide the top 3 current issues.
    1. Discussion of O&M planning was led by Robert.       This discussion was geared to the LSI requirement to provide notification of off road equipment within 7 days of award of contract.
      1. Industry knowing this is not achievable will submit a negative report through the prime contractor to adjudicate this requirement.
  1. Action items as a result of working group;
    1. Robert and Mike McKean to draft a message to PSSRA member companies regarding a summary of recent incidents, VPP recertification and the importance of “all hands awareness.” 

 Attendees at this meeting:

Robert Dearing NASSCO 360-801-8439 rdearing@nassconorfolk.com

David Jack QED Systems 360-271-4153 djack@qedsysinc.com

Naomi Carrier QED Systems 360-340-7716 ncarrier@qedsysinc.com

Martin Lider  PCE 360-361-6268  martin.lider@pceeverett.com

Webster King  HII 360-405-5115 webster.king@hii-tsd.com

JD Brown NASSCO 360-337-9286  jordan.brown@nassconorfolk.com

Richard Van Doren  Metropolitan Solutions 360-799-5699  rvandoren@metrosolutionsus.com

Johnathan Kinder PSNS/IMF 360-340-2528 johnathan.kinder@navy.mil

Pete Schupp PSNS/IMF 360-476-4143  Peter.E.Schupp@navy.mil

Mark Kipps HII  360-340-2387  mark.kipps@hii-tsd.com


04/11/2018 – 1300: PSSRA QESH Meeting at NASSCO-Bremerton. 423 Pacific Ave, Suite 200.

Related posts

PSSRA Holiday Celebration

PSSRA Holiday Celebration When: December 18th  2018 Time: 1130 – 1330 Where: The Baymont Inn & Suites...

FMMS 2018 Briefs

Attached below are the CNRMC Slides from the 2018 Fleet Maintenance and Modernization Summit....

Sound Testing Training

PSSRA Member Sound Testing is announcing the following courses: Shipyard Competent Person Full 3-Day...


Please join us for our May 19th 2016 upcoming Industry Day. This will be taking...

Comments are currently closed.